Saturday, April 9, 2011

Goombahs

Grammy Beth used to make these treasures and bring them to the ski hill. I hadn't had them in years and years, but came across the recipe not too long ago and made a batch. They were as good as I remembered!

I've been posting like crazy lately, but I made a batch this morning and thought it would be fun to try photographing as I worked. So we're going to make them together today!

You'll need:
Don't forget to cut those box tops off! If you don't have someone to save them for, send them to me. I know some grade schoolers who will be thrilled. ;-)
Melt (most of) that butter and add it to the cake mix with a few more ingredients.
Pecans!
And don't forget the vanilla! This is homemade vanilla--what I always use now. So easy and good!
Finally add part of the evaporated milk.
Mix!
Use some of the leftover butter to grease the 9x13 pan; flour lightly.
Now we're ready to bake . . . half of the batter! Just press it in so it covers the whole bottom.
Now, the recipe calls for 14 oz. of caramel. The first time I made these, I got 14 oz. of caramels from the candy bin at the grocery and spent half a movie unwrapping them from stubborn cellophane. Meh. However, Kraft now makes these bits that YOU DON'T HAVE TO UNWRAP; they come in 11 oz. packages. I suppose you could get two packages and add enough to make 14 oz., but I don't think it's necessary--they turned out deliciously good with the mere 11 oz. ;-)
Melt the caramel with some of the evaporated milk. The original recipe calls for a double-boiler, but if you go slowly and keep watching this method works fine.
By now the bottom layer is done and ready to be loaded with more gooey goodness! You don't want it to cool between steps, but I let it sit for a couple of minutes before starting the next step. That way it collapses a little less when you load up the soft underlayer.

Sprinkle chocolate chips (avoid spilling half the bag into your utensil drawer if you can help it . . . I couldn't).
Drizzle the caramel over the top . . . spread a little to cover all the edges.
And add the final layer--the rest of the cake mix. I find that flattening pieces and laying it on top like a puzzle works well (you can't just dump it on and try to spread it; it's too solid).
Stick it the pan back in the oven.
Store the leftover evaporated milk. Because it would be wasteful to dump it out. It's important to store it in the fridge for a while, until you've forgotten what it is or what it's from--then you can dump it with a free conscience. ;-P
Do your dishes quick . . .
Have a spot of tea while you smell the goombahs baking . . .
When you take them out, it will be tempting to dig in right away. And I cannot deny they are good warm! But let them sit for at least a little bit or you'll have trouble getting them out in one piece. I actually think they're even better when they're totally cooled. Cut them small and eat two! ;-)
Now you can share these right away, or if you're like me, you can hold the goombahs hostage until your husband agrees to get a haircut.
Ha! ;-D

Here's the recipe. Everyone needs a goombah in their life!!

Grammy Beth's Goombahs

1 pkg. German Chocolate Cake Mix
3/4 c. butter, melted
1/3 c. evaporated milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. chopped nuts

1 14-oz. pkg. caramels (11 oz. bag is plenty)
1/3 c. evaporated milk

1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips

Grease and flour 9x13 pan. Mix cake mix, butter, evaporated milk, vanilla and nuts. Put 1/2 of mixture in pan and bake about 6-10 minutes in 350-degree oven (I do 10 minutes).

Place caramels and evaporated milk in double-boiler (or pan). Melt, stirring.

Sprinkle chocolate chips over cake when baked, drizzle caramel over. Top with remaining cake mix and bake 16-20 minutes (I do 20 minutes). Cut in small squares and enjoy!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

ooooh really...

Mom said...

Yummm...
Thanks for the memories.

Anonymous said...

Love that you are blogging often! I thoroughly enjoyed the Goombah making! I remember when they were first introduced - guess I'll have to make some. And, I think I saw things in your kitchen that reminded me of Grandma F, too. How nice! I'll say "Thanks for the memories," too! k

christel said...

K, the mug is definitely from Gma's. If you're looking at the nut grinder or the tea kettle, those are finds from second hand/antique stores because I missed having them in my kitchen! :-D

Anonymous said...

I was looking at the nut grinder, as well as the mug. Mom must have had one just like it at one time. Fun to see - and nice that you found one like her's. Keep blogging! (You should see the snow here - covering every branch. The branches of our maple tree are touching the ground - first time I can remember that!) Love you - k